OPEN HOUSES ARE STUPID AND HERE’S WHY…
- Most people looking at Open Houses are neighbors and looky-loos who have no real intention of buying the home. They just have a weird fascination with seeing how people live, especially those they know.
- When I first started in the business in 2006, we were allowed 6 pictures in the MLS. Now, we are allowed 25+ pictures which allows buyers to get a pretty good understanding of the condition, layout and amenities of the home. With the addition of 3D tours and floorpans, buyers should only need to tour a home to check for surrounding noise or to see if it smells.
- I (or someone from my team) can be available anytime that a serious buyer wants to schedule a time to tour one of my listings. Those buyers who call to schedule an appointment to see the home are far more likely to actually purchase it than someone who randomly stops by after church because they saw the directional sign.
- Theft and other criminal activity is on the rise. Stories are popping up left and right about strangers entering a home and stealing prescription medication, jewelry or simply scouting the home for an old fashioned burglary. Sitting alone in a home and inviting strangers inside is not safe. Especially if you have an attractive picture of yourself on the yard sign out front.
- Football and Final Rounds of a Golf Tournament occur on Sunday afternoon. This is a direct conflict with Open Houses.
- Sellers are forced to clean up their home and leave for an afternoon, potentially missing football games and final rounds of a Golf Tournament as well.
- Agents feel obligated to buy balloons directly contributing to the shortage of helium on this planet. Seriously, this is a real threat. http://www.geek.com/science/geek-answers-why-are-we-running-out-of-helium-1589334/